Classified ads on the Internet fulfill the same function of the classic ones in newspapers: Advertise products or services through a short text in which the product or service offered, the price and the form of contact are exposed, generally, in the case of newspapers, a phone number.
But there is a key difference between selling through online classified ads and doing it in newspapers: Price. Inserting an advertisement in a newspaper has a cost that will depend on several factors, such as the number of words in the text, if it is in bold or framed, if it is a local or national newspaper, the circulation of the newspaper, etc. While doing it on one of the internet classified ads pages is, in principle, free and, in addition, you can accompany the text of one or more photographs at no cost. Only in the case that you want to highlight craigslist classifieds your ad or make it appear in the first positions of a certain search, you must make a small payment.
Classified Ads vs eBay
Let’s Now Look at the Pros and Cons of Selling one Way or Another:
- In the classified ad pages, as we have said, they do not charge for the insertion of ads. On eBay, starting from a monthly amount, yes.
- Classified ads are not an intermediary service in the sale; therefore, no commission is charged if the sale is made. As we have said eBay charges 8% per sale made.
- In classified ads, the deal will have to be direct between the seller and the buyer, they will agree on the conditions and the page that publishes the ad will have no responsibility, while on eBay the buyer has the guarantees of the page.
- Through classified ads they will not be able to assess you as a seller, this is an advantage that eBay does offer.
- You will also not be able to create your own virtual store on a classified ads page (although you could search for all your ads if, for example, you always use the same phone), which you can do on eBay.
- Finally, you will not be able to sell through the auction system, which is eBay’s main feature.
As you can see, both ways of selling online have advantages and disadvantages, it will depend a lot on your preferences which one you decide to use one or the other. Although in reality, classified ad pages and eBay sales can be perfectly complementary.
What can be Sold?
The answer to this question is simple, through classified ads you can sell everything, as long as it is legal. Any product or service has a place in these pages, from cars and houses to old magazines or a paper with the signature of any famous person, you can offer your services as a teacher of any subject, as a painter, plumber, electrician, etc.
Normally the ads are classified into several categories and subcategories and distributed by geographical areas, although, depending on the pages, they offer other forms of search, such as price, square meters in the case of real estate or year of registration in that of used vehicles. It is important that your ad is framed in the corresponding category and subcategory. In addition, the more data your ad contains, the more possibilities you will have to sell and, of course, in the case of products, one or more good photos accompanying the text will help your sales a lot.
Classified ad Pages
To finish, we leave you links to some of the most important classified ads pages on the internet.