In a hearty week for Disney Music Group, teen-pop star Selena Gomez notched her first No. 1 album and the “Teen Beach Movie” soundtrack vaulted into the U.S. top five.
Gomez’s “Stars Dance” (Hollywood Records) took the top slot with a 97,000-unit debut week, according to Nielsen SoundScan data for the week ending July 28. The singer previously reaped three top-10 albums with her group the Scene; the most recent, “When the Sun Goes Down,” reached No. 3 in 2011. Chart-topping release was a birthday gift of sorts: Gomez turned 21 on July 22.
That performance was strong enough to knock Jay Z’s “Magna Carta Holy Grail” (Roc Nation) to No. 2. The rap titan, who had held No. 1 for two weeks, slipped a rung with sales of 77,000 (a decline of 40%) for the week.
Meanwhile, the Walt Disney Records soundtrack for Disney Channel tuner “Teen Beach Movie” leaped five slots to No. 3 behind a 57,000-unit sophomore week. Album is the first major soundtrack hit for the Disney cabler since its “Camp Rock” entries of 2008 and 2010, both of which also hit No. 3.
Three other new releases moved into the top 10. Latin luminary Marc Anthony bowed at No. 5 with his Spanish-language release “3.0” (Sony Latin), which shifted 39,000. It was the vocalist’s highest debut since “Mended” reached No. 3 in 2002; his last album, the ballad collection “Iconos,” peaked at No. 11 in 2010.
Michigan metal unit We Came As Romans racked up its very first top 10 album, as “Tracing Back Roots” (Equal Vision) climbed aboard the chart at No. 8, moving 26,000. The sextet’s previous apex came in 2011, when “Understanding What We’ve Grown to Be” topped out at No. 21.
The Cash Money compilation “Rich Gang” moved in at No. 9, arriving with 24,000 sold. The rap collection features appearances by Lil Wayne, Birdman, Ace Hood, Nicki Minaj and other stars from the label posse.
Holding over were “Kidz Bop 24” (No. 4, 39,000 sold, off 37%), Florida Georgia Line’s “Here’s to the Good Times” (No. 6, 30,000, down 6%), Imagine Dragons’ “Night Visions” (No. 7, 27,000, off 4%) and Justin Timberlake’s “The 20/20 Experience” (No. 10, 21,000, down 14%).
Following a lengthy stay at No. 1 by its titular single, Robin Thicke’s “Blurred Lines” album should easily conquer the chart next week.
- allthethingswelost reblogged this from selgomez-news
- maggiemihailova likes this
- love-you-like-selena-gomez reblogged this from selgomez-news
- lovedilanyavuzme likes this
- loveaustinmahoneblr likes this
- februaryroses-98 reblogged this from selgomez-news
- believing-in-myself reblogged this from selgomez-news
- selenamariebieberworld likes this
- amandaolson44 likes this
- loveuvanneyhdg likes this
- the-laughing-gas likes this
- putputlose reblogged this from selgomez-news
- prashant160296 likes this
- 03mahone01 likes this
- foreverflawlesslydreaming likes this
- selscats likes this
- chasingcottoncandy likes this
- selenag-comeandgetit reblogged this from selgomez-news
- armthings likes this
- z4yny likes this
- selenagomezgal18 likes this
- leightonblake likes this
- 52pinarsen likes this
- 5redflower5 likes this
- mellytornado likes this
- thewariyasakdasakkayakoon1992 likes this
- njoudalmarwan likes this
- selena-gomeznews reblogged this from selgomez-news
- selena-gomeznews likes this
- alejandra2365 likes this
- worldpeaceandhate reblogged this from selgomez-news
- worldpeaceandhate likes this
- thequotepics likes this
- starsdanceforjelena likes this
- datesgomez reblogged this from selgomez-news
- bripal98 likes this
- k-nandaoliveira reblogged this from selgomez-news
- nikkkkkkkiiiiiiiii likes this
- mylifeaschristianr likes this
- queen-selena-m-gomez reblogged this from selgomez-news
- belieberswaggy01 reblogged this from selgomez-news
- portugallicious likes this
- pame309 likes this
- leticiadfns likes this
- be-undercover reblogged this from selgomez-news
- sell-dems-ley reblogged this from selgomez-news
- sell-dems-ley likes this
- lizramos650 likes this
- vannahm13 likes this
- melindacupcake likes this